Artwork in Chicago airport, done by local high school students in an afterschool art program.
I had planned to write something about Alice this morning. I started twice and the computer froze and shut down. I'm weird enough to take that as a sign that I wasn't supposed to write about Alice. OK? WHAT?
I came back to the computer from my meditation time to find that I was reaching for my Energy Medicine for Women book. The one that I first discovered Temporal Tapping from.
It's written by Donna Eden. I've mentioned this book in the past. I tried the temporal tapping as an experiment and grew strong healthy nails for the first time in 55 years. I tried it again to stop drinking Diet sodas and since January 4th I've had no desire for one.
"Energy runs in habits. Like flowing water that forms a riverbed, energy patterns that are repeated day after day tend to become entrenched. They are difficult to change even if they are no longer needed or useful.
If one of your ancestors was born during a famine and meals were scarce and inadequate, her body would learn to turn protein that was optimally meant to build muscle into fat storage. When the famine ended, and food was plentiful, the energy system that control metabolism would still be storing fat, now unnecessarily.
This dynamic is true of the energies that govern your mind as well as those that govern your body. Your famine born ancestor might be obsessed with food in ways her sibling, born four years later and after the end of the famine, might not be."
Still with me?
The author, with David Feinstein wrote another book called, The Promise of Energy Psychology which deals in depths with the above topic.
Often we have heard about the mind body connection and well meaning people tell people to change their attitudes or beliefs or self-concept as if it's an easy thing to do. It isn't.
Just willing yourself to change can just give you another reason to be disappointed with yourself when it doesn't just happen. You can't think yourself out of a depression, desire for something that is unhealthy for you or happiness.
"Shifting your energies, however, creates a new internal atmosphere that supports new ways of thinking."
So, one way was the Temporal Tap and if you look at my list of blog titles you will find the entry where I talk about how this is done.
The second TOOL or method, the author calls The Blow-out/Zip up/Hook-in.
I kinda like the name of it. :)
So, take note, here's the exercise if you find you are troubled, upset, or frustrated that you have not been able to change a pattern of behavior in your life. THIS IS AN EXPERIMENT.
I have no idea if it works. But, I'll tell you I went into the Temporal Tapping the same way, giving it a try. It worked for me. I had to adjust my positive statements but in the end I got the results I wanted WITHOUT FEELING LIKE I HAD TO USE WILL POWER TO DO IT.
1. Stand up straight. Put your arms out in front of you, bend your elbows slightly and make a fist with the insides of your wrists facing up and take a very full breath.
2. Swing your arms behind you and up over your head. HOLD here for a moment.
3. Reach way up, turn your fists so your fisted fingers are FACING EACH OTHER, and rush your arms down the front of your body as you EMPHATICALLY open your hands. Let out your breath and your emotions with a "whoooooosh" sound or any other sounds that come naturally.
4. Repeat several times. This will fell good. The last time, bring your arms down in a slow and controlled manner, blowing out of your mouth as you go. Stand tall and breathe deeply.
5. In this moment of emptiness and release, formulate a simple statement about yourself that you wish were true. For example: I am calm and at peace. I am feeling strong and confident. I am a force to be reckoned with. Affirmations of this nature are in the first person, present tense, stated as if they are already true.
6. Zip the affirmation into body and mind by stating it slowly and deliberately while doing a modified ZIP-up. Place your hands at your public bone, take a deep in breath and while stating your affirmation, move your hands, slowly and deliberately, straight up the center of your body to your lower lip. Do this three times.
7. Lock it in with a HOOK-up: Breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth, place the middle finger of one hand between your eyebrows above the bridge of your nose, the middle finger of the other hand in your navel and gently press each finger into your skin. Pull your fingers upward and hold for about 15 seconds."
Remember, as I said, try this as an experiment. I will be. My goal for this year has been to work on a healthier body. I'm taking stock of behaviors that don't work for me. Ones that prevent me from achieving this goal. I realize that many of these behaviors and beliefs are old, unnecessary ones. I'm going to give this technique a shot to see if I can start shifting the energies that maintain these mental habits that I want to change.
:)Bea Be creative today, it will make you smile.