We are under a storm warning which is going to turn into a major blizzard by lunchtime. They are saying up to 14-16 inches of snow. It seems like a good day to turn back to Wonderland and visit some of those characters.
"It has been speculated that illustrator John Tenniel and many subsequent illustrators of the Alice books, modeled the Duchess in the story after Margaret, Countess of Carinthia and Tyrol.
She was born in 1318 and had the reputation of being the ugliest woman in history and was nicknamed "Maultasche", which means pocket-mouth,whore or bag mouth."
(It really didn't have anything to do with her looks but more about the fact that she married someone else while she was still married and through connections got the Pope to annul the first marriage. But, what do you expect when you marry off a girl of age 12? )
Legend has it that she was a woman of great power and evil. In Feuchtwanger's novel, The Ugly Duchess (1928) he chronicles her sad life. Her portrait by Quentin Matsys, the one above, currently hangs in the National Gallery in London. "
THE DUCHESS'S MORALS
1. Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it.
2. Flamingos and mustard both bite. And the moral of that is -- "Birds of a feather flock together."
3. The more there is of mine, the less there is of yours.
4. Oh, 'tis love, 'tis love that makes the world go round!
5. "Be what you would seem to be" -- or if you'd like it put more simply-- "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
6. If everybody minded their own business, the world would go round a deal faster than it does.
"I've a right to think," said Alice sharply, for she was beginning to feel a little worried.
"Just about as much right," said the Duchess, "as pigs have TO FLY."
:) Bea Be creative today, you know why, right?
P.S. Found two new interesting blogs today. One was from a suggestion link from OFF THE WALL ART (on my blog list to the right).
http://jeane-artit.blogspot.com/ If you go down just a little on her blog she has a really nice video of the full moon. Liked the music with it too.
Second blog I found by accident when I accidentally clicked on NEXT BLOG.
It's a well written review of pulp fiction books.